Monday, July 27, 2015

First Week in the Field!

Have you ever had one of those dreams where everyone around you is speaking gibberish. Haha, that's my life. 

I left the MTC under the impression that I would understand a good portion of what people would say. I could pretty much understand everything, even devotionals where native speakers were talking. However, it's SO much different here. First of all, people don't only talk about the gospel. Guess what vocab I know? Yup, gospel vocab. So I hear a lot of words that I have never heard before. Even during lessons if people start talking on a tangent at all I get soo lost. 

But it is so good. My companion is AMAZING. Funny story:

When we were at the offices, President showed us pictures of the trainers, one of them being Hermana Wong. He told me that she knew 3 languages and was very intelligent. He showed me the other trainers too, but she was the only one I remembered and I kind of knew she would be my trainer. 

So normally we would stay the night at the President's house and then go to the huge transfer meeting the next day, but for logistic reasons that didn't work out so we just had a small transfer meeting on Monday. I got my companion, and I had thought that one of the languages she spoke was English... but NO. I was talking to her in English and she was just looking back at me like I was crazy. So I started using my broken Spanish.

Well, come Wednesday morning we were doing language study and I had been reading the Book of Mormon out loud and Hermana Wong was correcting my pronounciation. After 45 or so minutes I wanted to turn the tables. There's a rule that those who don't know English need to study it while their companion studies Spanish. So I told her in my broken Spanish that she should study English. At this point she started laughing so hard and in PERFECT English said "I can't do it any more!" Apparently she went to school in CA. It's a bit discouraging when your companion is fluent in 4 languages (Spanish, Enlgish, French, and Italian) and you can't even speak 2. But she is super humble. I was SOOO shocked though. We still try to speak a lot of Spanish because I really need to learn, but it's nice to be able to talk to someone if I really need to. She kept up the joke for a whole day and a half though! She said it was pretty tough. 

We have a lot of fun together! She keeps the work fun and is a rockstar missionary who really connects with the people. I'm so blessed to have her. Since there are so few Sisters and so many came in all at once, she has only been here 3 months and is already training for her second time. Yeah, she's awesome.

The miracles here are crazy! We have been GUIDED to where we need to go. My favorite was on SaturdayOn Saturday we really REALLY wanted to find this one woman who had been a Golden investigator but was lost when missionaries were transfered. The only problem was that we didn't have an address or a phone number. Hermana Wong remembered what part of town she lived in, and so we decided to walk over there. We then prayed to know where to go. We both felt that we should go to this one house. There was a group of people outside and we asked them if they new this woman. They said there were two people with the same name, one in one direction, and one in the other direction, though they didn't know exactly which house. We felt prompted to go down one street... but when we were over there we were sorta just lingering not sure if we should start knocking door or what, when we turn around and Hermana Wong gets so excited because there was a woman walking towards us and IT WAS HER. There are like a million people here. I have now doubt that God lead us to her. We showed her the restoration video and seriously, she is just golden. I'm so excited to finish teaching her. 

This Church is true. Heavenly Father helps us every day and makes MIRACLES happen. He wouldn't do that if we weren't doing His work. He is also just so mindful of us. Every time we are thirsty, He sends us a member or even just a random person to offer us something to drink. And I can't always understand very much but sometimes I get super strong impressions to say something and somehow I am able to say what they need even though I'm not even sure what they are talking about. It's an amazing blessing. 

I love this gospel. I love Mexico City. I stand out a lot here. It can be a good thing though because people want to talk to us since I'm white (: But the people here are so humble and so prepared to hear this message. This area wasn't left with a ton of progressing investigators, so we are working really hard to find people and we can feel the Lord leading us to the people that we need to talk to. 

Being a missionary is great. On Saturday we had our training to work in the temple! We get to work there for 18 days!!! I can't wait. President told us that He felt that that was the reason that many of us sisters were called to this mission: to be a guide for this open house. I'm so excited!

I love you all! Have a great week!

Hermana Aubriana Wolferts

No comments:

Post a Comment