Sunday, December 27, 2015

We Roam With The Spirit...


December 21, 2015

I can't even tell you how great this week was! 

First of all, we just got back from visiting the pyramids at Teotihuacan! They are sooo cool. Also, they are situated farther out of the city, so we were driving on roads with trees and open spaces. There were moments that I felt like I could be back in Utah because it randomly started to look so much like home. While I was there, I had a really cool experience! It's a tourist destination, so tons of people from all over the world were there. When we were walking over to the pyramid, we saw an older lady that was struggling with the stairs. It was pretty obvious she wasn't Mexican, so we asked her if she needed help in English. She responded and as we were talking to her, I realized pretty quickly from her accent, that she was from Germany. I asked her where she was from, and sure enough, Germany. I told her that my grandpa was from Germany and she was so delighted! Then I asked what part of Germany she was from (thinking the whole time, what if she says Wuppertal?!), and she replied... Wuppertal! I was so excited and told her that my Grandpa was from Wuppertal. She didn't seem to recognize Opa`s name, but I was just so excited to get to talk to someone from his home town. Of course, I contacted her and invited her to go to a church service and seek out the missionaries when she gets home (: 

This past week we were helping our recent converts to find all the family names that they could to take to the temple. Fortunately, they had some records like birth and death certificates and other things that we were looking through to find some missing information. We came across a registro de fallecimiento (I don't know what these are called in English... it's a record about their death)  and it had some pretty funny information. One of the things that needed to be filled in, in the record, was time and place of death. They litterally wrote, "Yesterday, in her house." Haha....

AND, this past Saturday, President took me, my comp Hna Martinez and ex comp Hna Wong to the temple to take our recent converts to do baptisms for the dead for the first time, to do the work for the names we found!! I can't express what it feels like to see these sweet new members all dressed in white, in the temple. It's something really really special. Probably what it'll feel like to see them in the Celestial Kingdom one day. 






And then later that day we got to see the baptism of our investigator, Guillermo! Hermana Wong and I started teaching his sister back at the beginning of my mission, and even though she has a testimony that the church is true, she hasn't decided to join the church because she feels like she will be betraying her father who was Catholic and has passed away. But her brothers have decided to join the church now! It was pretty cool to go from baptizing the dead in the morning to baptizing the living in the afternoon (:

One of my new hobbies is translating things directly from Spanish to English. The thing that makes learning a new language hard is just that things don't translate litterally. I'm starting to get the hang of all that and I'm learning the phrases and the more common ways to say things, so I've started trying to see what they would be like if people said them literally, in English. Well there's this one word "andar" that is usually translated "to walk" or something.... but the thing is that it's not just to walk. You can andar on a bicycle, or a car, or by foot, or in a specific building.... so some Elders decided that it meant "to roam." So the other day we were contacting and just finding some really solid people to teach and my companion said "andamos con el espiritu." And it just made me happy because all I could think is that this translates to "we roam with the spirit." (: And I couldn't be happier to roam the streets of Mexico City with the Spirit on my side. 

Also, I was reading in the Book of Mormon the other day and I found a scripture that proves that we are supposed to listen to our big sibblings. Nathan, Trevin, and Sara, see below:

 10 And command you to take it upon you to counsel 
with your elder brothers in your undertakings; for behold,
thou art in thy youth, and ye stand in need to be nourished by your brothers. And give heeto their counsel.


Haha, studying the scriptures is fun. I highly recommend it. 

Also.... we get to skype on Friday! Whattt. It came so fast! I'll update you on everything else then!

Love you all! Merry Christmas!!! Feliz Navidad (;

Hermana Aubriana Wolferts



Family photo with my family Christmas morning

No comments:

Post a Comment